Here's a list of the most common tax papers we'll need to see to complete your federal, state and local income tax returns.  It's a long list and it isn't comprehensive.  But don't worry - not everything applies to everyone.  Just pay attention to the items that apply to you.  And if you're not sure about something, please bring it just in case!

For brand new clients only

Social Security numbers and dates of birth for everyone on your tax return

Birth certificates for dependent children (required for 2016 and later years)

A copy of your return from last year (sometimes it makes a difference)

Your bank routing number and account number (so we know where to send your refund!)

Income items

W2 forms for any jobs you had where you were an employee

1099-R forms for any retirement plan distributions or pensions

SSA-1099 forms if you received Social Security benefits

1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-B forms for any interest, dividends or investment activity

1099-G forms if you received unemployment benefits

1099-MISC forms if you worked as an independent contractor

1099-C forms if you had any cancellation of debt from credits cards, mortgages, etc.

The amount of any alimony you received

Records of profit and loss for any business or farm you own

Records of profit and loss for any rental properties you own

W2-G forms for any gambling winnings for the year (bring losses, too!)

Other income such as jury duty, Medical Savings Account distributions, etc.

Adjustments to income

1098-E forms for any student loan interest paid by you or a dependent child

1098-T forms for college tuition paid for you or a dependent child

Receipts for classroom expenses for teachers

IRA contributions made during the tax year

Moving expense if you moved more than 50 miles for work-related reasons

Alimony you paid to a former spouse

Health Savings Account or Medical Savings Account contributions

Deductions and Credits

1098 forms for mortgage interest, mortgage insurance or real estate taxes - for your primary home and one additional home you own.

Real estate tax receipts if you pay them yourself - not through a mortgage

Charitable contributions - you need a letter from the charity if the amount is over $250

Medical and dental expenses - out of pocket and not covered by insurance

Investment interest expenses (margin interest, account management fees, etc.)

Miscellaneous deductions - expenses you incur in performing your job such as union dues, uniforms, travel, auto expenses, supplies, work gear, training expenses, etc.

Child care or day care expenses - get a receipt from the provider

Expenses for operating a home office

And we don't see these nearly as often, but they happen . . .

Adoption costs

Casualty losses - for out of pocket costs from things like fire, flood, wind, etc.

Receipts for energy-efficiency improvements to your main home

Quarterly estimated payments you sent to the IRS or the state

Refunds from last year you applied to the current year's taxes